Lilypie First Birthday tickers
International Response Fund

Saturday, February 6, 2010

A New Quest

I recently went to the doctor for a physical and it's no joke that I have gained some weight.  When Seth was born, I weighed the most I had ever weighed--I gained 49 lbs. with him.  But I ate pretty much what I wanted to.  I was able to lose much of that baby weight, even getting back to my pre-pregnancy weight.  But that was 4 years ago and I am older now and my metabolism has slowed even more.  Okay so that is not an excuse for me liking food.

My new quest is to lose some weight.   I would like to lose 15-20 lbs.  But even 10 would be great!   I talked to the doctor about it and he said that a good, healthy diet was the South Beach Diet.  Have any of you tried it?  I had heard of it but I did not know what it involved.  I came home from the doctor and started researching.  Short and dirty version is no carbs or sugars.  The diet is made up of 3 phases with Phase 1 being the most restrictive.  Phase 1 lasts 2 weeks and is basically a detoxification of carbs and sugars from your body.  If you can reach Phase 2--yes I said that---you can begin to add whole grains back into the diet slowly.  I haven't looked at Phase 3 yet.
 
http://www.dietsinreview.com/diet_column/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/south-beach-diet.jpg

I decided to do a test run of this diet today.  I made my first error not eating breakfast or lunch, but eating brunch at around 10:45.  I had an egg casserole with bacon, tomato, onion, and cheese from Cracker Barrel along with unsweet (blasphemy) tea.  Thank GOD for Splenda.  I made it until about 2:00, when I started having a hunger pain, so I grabbed some dry roasted peanuts, some lowfat cheddar cheese squares, and a glass of V-8.   This, along with 2 glasses of water was helpful until supper. 

I forgot to mention that I walked out of Lowes today and continued by a tableful of Girl Scout cookies that were for sale.  I did not stop and I did not buy any.  Also, we met Rob's dad's family at the Dixie Queen (seafood restaurant) this afternoon for his uncle's birthday.  Rob and I did not eat since we had already decided on supper.  It was so hard to go in there and not have hush puppies and their sweet tea.   Ahhhhhh!!!   We ended up having spaghetti for supper, so I was not successful the whole day, but I thought I gave it a good run for a few hours.

I have learned that I do need to get some more food though--my selection presently is not as good as it needs to be when it comes to snacking and satisfying cravings.  I bet I have chewed 7 pieces of sugar-free gum today. I am thinking about starting the diet in the next week or two--I wanted to wait until after Valentine's Day at least.   If anyone has any tips, they are certainly appreciated.

1 comment:

Angel said...

Doctors are the most annoying people. Not only are you naked and fully disclosed to them, but then they say hurtful things like, "You've put on weight since the last time I saw you." I didn't say anything to him, so why'd he have to go and bring up my flaws?! Anyway, I would like to join you in this weight loss quest, maybe a buddy would be helpful for me. Sylvia sure looks good these days, but I don't want stress to be my reason to lose. I'll talk to you soon.