Lilypie First Birthday tickers
International Response Fund

Sunday, July 18, 2010

I Don't Have a Green Thumb, But Mother Nature Is Smiling On Me!

I do not have a green thumb.  In fact, I have killed an aloe plant before.   :-(  I don't think that I inherited any of my daddy's horticulture loving genes.  This summer though, I (pardon the pun) turned over a new leaf.
This is my Lantana.  Daddy planted it for me last year in this pot and suggested that I move it to a bed in the backyard last fall.  I didn't do it and I really thought it had died especially with our terribly cold winner.  Guess what?  In May, it started to sprout new growth and this is what it looked like last week.  I think I will get brave and divide this in the fall because I want to put some near our mailbox.  I do not have a green thumb--I just water this at least once a day and fertilize it 2-3 times a week.


This is my pink geranium that I won as a door prize at a spring ADK meeting.  My initial thought honestly was, "Oh great...something that will die on my porch this summer!"  It has lived since April when I brought it home.  Although it has a few blooms on it here, it has had many more and has been very full of blooms at least twice.  You may notice the new growth on it that will bloom in the next week or two.  My daddy raised tons of these in his greenhouse when he was an agriculture teacher, so I have seen him care for these.  I hesitate to say that I have killed one of these before.  I am making a good effort with this one and I hope that I can continue.

Also, you may remember this post where I talked about my Topsy Turvy growers.  I have since pulled about 7 more cucumbers from the vine.  I really don't think it should be marketed as a tomato grower--we have not had a lot of luck with tomotoes, but it could be the hot, dry weather that we have been experiencing. 

I swear I do not have a green thumb, but this new leaf has inspired me with hope for next year.  I would like to grow some green peppers and some squash.  I also want to try my hand at some sunflowers. 

No comments: